Sunday, November 23, 2008

Galesburg Turkey Trot


Me and Shannan decided to run in the 33rd Annual Galesburg Turkey Trot that took place around Lake Story. It was a 5k race and quite likely my last of the year since I'll be saving myself for the challenge. I've been doing some speed and stride work and haven't tried for a 5k time in a few months. My previous best was 22:30 at St. Ambrose. This morning I beat that by 40 seconds coming in at 21:50. The course wound along a bikepath that circles the lake and was fairly scenic for a late fall morning. Temps were around 30 and there was a little more breeze than I cared for but what are you gonna do? For this race I decided to go out fast and see how long I could hold it together. To my surprise my first mile split was 6:18! Mile two and three were a more consistent 7:45 as my legs grew heavy and my lungs began bleeding (at least in my mind). I managed second place in my age group and 21st overall. This large jump in time gives me hope of running respectable times in the 19's by next summer. Until then it'll be long and slow as the focus. Shannan also managed to pull out a third place finish (I think she was glad she decided to go) but unfortunately none of us won the prized frozen turkey, maybe next year.

No comments: